03 Apr The Amazing Positive Influence a Mentor (Lisa Nichols)
Hello dear Loving What You Live readers, I hope you are staying safe and above all happy. Today I’ll like to share with you someone who I’ve looked up to and learned from along my journey. She is someone I met only virtually but I have hung onto her teachings, books, videos, social media and everything I could get my hands on. So here you go:
I don’t think this is the first time I’m writing about Lisa Nichols, I did mention her in the post about my favorite books. Lisa is someone who pulled herself up by her bootstraps from being a single mother living on welfare to owing a million-dollar company. The first thing that attracted me to Lisa was her story telling ability. When she gives anecdotes about her life she actually paints a picture in a way that you feel the emotions and even catch your breath. Watch one of her amazing speeches here.
Her story inspired me and transformed my life. I read her book ABUNDANCE NOW about six times on Audible. In fact it was my first book on Audible and I got it for free so it was the only book in my library. At that time I had a lot of time on my hands since I was doing an internship but didn’t really get assigned much to do. So I devoured the book over and over, watched her videos on YouTube so much so that I can tell all her stories.
This immersion into her world showed me possibility and I started planning consciously how to make my life abundant. I have always had grandiose plans of doing amazing things one day but this caused me to start thinking of making it happen.
The first thing I did was to get some online courses on online businesses and I started rounding up my friends to help me raise capital to build a website. That did not work out, but it was a stepping stone, showing that I was willing to start taking responsibility for my future. Subsequently I had other failed attempts but the most important thing I learnt from her was a “can do” mentality. Of getting back up each time I failed until it finally works.
Here are some Lisa Nichols Quotes:
- “Your story is important.”
- “All the people in your life are truly doing the best they can with what they have. People can only love you to the capacity that they are able to love themselves. They can only forgive and embrace you to the capacity that they are able to forgive and embrace themselves. They can only give you what they have the capacity to give. You may think that you deserve more, and you may be correct. But that means nothing if a person simply doesn’t have the ability to give it to you.”
- “When your clarity meets your conviction and you apply action to the equation, your world will begin to transform before your eyes.”
- “mostly, the world sees you the way you see yourself.”
- “Self-enrichment is that act of creating a thousand micro wins, so you can have one macro win.”
- “…most people unconsciously dream themselves out of their goals. They dream so far past their current reality—or what’s currently possible—that they end up abandoning their goals and damaging their own self-esteem.”
- “Do you realize that your love, your peace, your joy, your bliss can be so powerful in you that it becomes contagious, and people just want to be around you and they don’t know even know why.”
- “When you give yourself permission to have made mistakes in the past—when you begin to trust yourself about making new choices—that’s when your intuition becomes reliable and trustworthy.”
- “People are more comfortable with a familiar discomfort than they are with an unfamiliar new possibility.”
- “Your best opportunities are out on the skinny branch.”
- “I was willing to be my own rescuer at the risk of your approval.”
- “I have nothing to hide, I have nothing to protect, I have nothing to prove, I have nothing to defend, Now … who do I chose to be?”
I have moved on to read other amazing books and follow other mentors but Lisa was the spark that lighted a fire that had always been in me but had become dormant.
I hope this blog post encourages you to find a mentor you resonate with and to stick to them. It may be Lisa or someone else, but just be sure to harness the amazing power of mentors.
Want to know more about me and why I blog? Click here.