27 Mar How to Fight Depression and Win, Quotes that Help
Depression is a condition that can leave you both physically and mentally drained. Reasons why if you are battling with this guarding your mental help is very important. It is not always easy to muster the will to seek help but they are small and simple steps you can take to help you improve on your wellbeing.
In this post you will find a collection of strategies which can help handle depression if you apply them on a daily basis. Because the hardest thing you struggle with when depressed is motivation, I have included powerful quotes you can use to help you win this battle.
Want to know more about me and why I blog? Click here.
Daily habits that will help you fight depression
The key to battling depression is being more kind and gentle with yourself. These habits will help you commit to self-help by taking little actions that will make a huge difference.
1) Accept your condition
Many people battling with depression sometimes tend to be in denial. Only, pretending you’re fine won’t make your problem go away. Instead, open yourself to the reality of your life. Accepting your situation will open you up to making necessary changes.
2) Go in the opposite direction of your depression voice
That little voice inside you heard telling you not to get help, is what is keeping you in the same spot. But guess what you can use that voice as a motivation. For this to work you will need to single out that voice each time it pops up and replace each thought with a more positive one. Address each thought singularly. You can even start with counteracting one thought per day and build your way up.
3) It’s okay to feel but don’t get stuck in feelings
Chances are if you are depressed you constantly re-hatch negative experiences or emotions that keep you trapped in your mind. While blocking those feelings to cope is an unhealthy practice, over indulging in negative feelings is equally so. It is okay to process your feelings but letting them go at some point is what will improve your condition tremendously.
Try practicing journaling. Each time you feel low pick up your journal and write about what you are feeling. Equally write when these feelings lift and are replaced by better ones. Reading through your journal may be self-healing.
4) Indulge in things you love
Doing things you love is a great way to improve your mental health. Spend time with your loved ones to be reminded that there are people who care about you. Try out a new hobby, listen to music, step out in nature etc. Do your best to be happier.
If your depressive symptoms disrupt your daily activities, try practicing meditation to help you calm your disruptive thoughts. Relaxation helps calm down anxiety which usually triggers depression. Make plans for the future so you can have something positive to look forward to; a reason to be happy.
5) Remind yourself that tomorrow is another opportunity to try again
This is a very important habit you need to learn and repeat because you will need it. Depression may make you feel sad and stuck in bed today but do not let that determine the outcome of your life.
Tomorrow is another day to try and get back the reins on your life. Do not be too hard on yourself. Reward yourself even for the smallest wins. Try practicing gratitude to keep negative thoughts away. This will give you something to look forward to each time you wake up.
Depression sometimes pushes people to find excuses not to commit to anything. If this is your case, these powerful depression quotes will help pull you out of your dark days.
I have personally suffered from depression and still do. My doctor just told me yesterday that I need Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to treat an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I have. I take medication in addition to applying these tips you see in this post. I have been in the worst of lows and now I can say I am happy, except when the OCD kicks in from time to time. There is hope for you if you have depression. Light awaits at the other end of the tunnel for you and for me!
Quotes to uplift you from depression
- “We know you’re tired, tired and scared. Happens to everyone, okay? Just don’t let your feet stop.”- Haruki Murakami
- Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way.”- Leroy Satchel Paige
- “No storm, not even the one in your life, can last forever. The storm is just passing over. -Iyanla Vanzant”
- “What you thought before has led to every choice you have made, and this add up to you at this moment. If you want to change who you are physically, mentally, and spiritually, you will have to change what you think.” -Dr. Patrick Gentempo
- “Once you choose hope, anything is possible.” —Christopher Reeve
- “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” —Thich Nhat Hanh
- “The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in the mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first you must have the mud — the obstacles of life and its suffering… ― Goldie Hawn
- “Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.” —Madeleine L’Engle
- “Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” —Leonard Cohen
- “There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind.” —C.S. Lewis
Quotes to help you through the low days
- “Give yourself another day, another chance. You will find your courage eventually. Don’t give up on yourself just yet.”–Anonymous
- “Don’t let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.” —Richard L. Evans
- Sometimes, when I say “I am ok”, I want someone to hold me tight, look me in the eyes and say “No, I know you are not”. Paulo Coelho
- “You need to know that part of being strong and tough is having the courage to ask for help when you need it. You must not silently suffer. You are all in this together. And, if I may speak personally, we are all in this together because asking for help was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. You will be continually amazed how life changes for the better.” Prince Harry
- “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.” —John Green
- “You say you’re ‘depressed’ – all I see is resilience. You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn’t mean you’re defective – it just means you’re human.”—David Mitchell
- “Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think”. -Winnie the Pooh
- Even if happiness forgets you a little bit, never completely forget about it.”—Jacques Prevert
- “Don’t ever let a bad day make you feel like you have a bad life.” – Petty Designs
- “Choose to be optimistic, it feels better”
Positivity quotes to win over depression
- “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” -Amit Ray
- “You don’t have to live a lie. Living a lie will mess you up. It will send you into depression. It will warp your values.” – Gilbert Baker
- “You are not your illness.” –Julian Seifter
- When you forgive, you in no way change the past – but you sure do change the future.” —Bernard Meltzer
- “In times of great stress or adversity, it’s always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive.” Lee Iacocca
- “Sadness flies away on the wings of time.” Jean de La Fontaine
- “Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.” -Scott Fitzgerald
- “Noble deeds and hot baths are the best cures for depression.” ― Dodie Smith
- “Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Do not become bitter or hostile. Be hopeful, be optimistic.” -John Lewis
- “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”- Sigmund Freud
I hope this helps!